The Student News Site of The University of Texas at El Paso

Minero Magazine

Minero Magazine

Minero Magazine

From the Editor – Fall 2011

MINERO MAGAZINE was created to focus attention on the issues that affect El Paso, Ciudad Juárez and the UTEP community. While we continued that theme in this issue, we added an extra emphasis on the differences and similarities that result from the blend of cultures in our region.

The stories featured in this magazine focus on the everyday life of border residents, which has changed in the past few years due to the ongoing drug-related violence in Mexico. We examine the political, social, economic, arts and sports influences that have been observed throughout the years and what they mean for the future of our community.

Included in this issue is the main story from Mexodus: a huge project undertaken by UTEP students to explore the exodus of Mexican citizens to the El Paso region. This exodus is a result of the drug war that is raging across the border. The project, which was a special topics course offered through the communication department for the spring 2011 semester, received funding from the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation. The story gives an overview of the different aspects and impact this migration has had on the region and the difficulties that student journalists faced in finding solid figures that show the true impact of the exodus. You can find the entire project on Borderzine.com.

Michael Galindo’s story shines a light on the work of local artists and writers, who are bringing the world of comic superheroes to the borderland as they examine the real social and political issues affecting the region. Writer and artist Jaime Portillo created “Gabriel” to bring awareness to the women who have been raped and murdered in Juárez. He also crafted the comic “Hell Paso” to illustrate El Paso’s colorful history.

The fact that Americans’ lack passion for the sport of soccer is nothing new. The fact that this is true in El Paso, with a Hispanic-majority population, seems mind-boggling to some. While the strong passion for soccer can be seen throughout the city, with people all over town sporting Mexico Premier League jerseys, the El Paso Patriots lack support from the city

and only see a little more than 1,000 fans at their games. Meanwhile, across the border, the Indios de Ciudad Juárez see more than 16,000 fans at their games and thousands of these fans are from El Paso. We examine some of the reasons why there seems to be more passion for the Indios than the Patriots and what the city of El Paso can do to keep that passion here.

Beatriz Castañeda takes a look at the legends, myths and fears engendered by the end of the Mayan calendar, which some wrongly believe marks the end of the world on December 21, 2012. The Mayan culture has had a strong influence on this region, and just about everyone has an opinion about the religious and philosophical meaning behind this mystical date.

We, the students from both sides of the border, are living, studying and working in one of the most dynamic areas in the world, and with the close ties we share, what happens on one side of the border has a massive effect on the other. We hope you appreciate our work and will continue to enjoy the great work UTEP students have accomplished.

Thank you,

Aaron Martinez
    Minero Magazine Editor