El Pasoans continue to reflect, meditate and heal

On the morning of Aug. 3, on the campus of the University of Texas at El Paso, sidewalks were empty. The quiet singing of the local birds became the soundtrack for the few members of UTEP staff who found themselves on campus on one of the darkest days in El Paso’s history. The first day of the Fall semester is only two weeks away. 

It has been three years since the Aug. 3, El Paso shooting where 23 lives were taken by alleged gunman, Patrick Crusius.

Across the city, memorials, blood drives, and luminarias fill the day’s schedule. 

At 8 a.m., in the Chihuahuan Desert Gardens Amphitheater, UTEP, El Paso ProMusica and Paso Del Norte Mindfulness worked together to hold a free event for UTEP students and El Pasoans to meditate, reflect and continue to heal from the tragic events of Aug. 3.

Though UTEP is not scheduled to have any more events this day, events across the city will continue. 

Find Wednesday’s events here:

• El Paso County Day of Resilience: 8 p.m. @ Healing Garden, Ascarate Park, 6900 Delta Drive. The Luminaria walk-through will take place between 6 – 10 p.m.
  • The “Resilience: Remembering August 3” exhibit will be displayed from 10 a.m – 6 p.m. @ the El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe St.
  • Luminarias will be set up @  Ponder Park, 7500 W.H. Burges Drive, from 7 – 9 p.m.
  • The Flashing of the El Paso Star: the Star on the Mountain will flash 23 times, beginning at 8:30 p.m., in honor of the 23 lost.